Google Maps and TomTom Go are two of the popular navigation apps. Google Maps is an all-rounder and TomTom Go offers great features for driving. How do both stand against each other? Let’s find out in Google Maps vs TomTom Go comparison.
Table of contents
- Video comparison
- Voice navigation
- Transit options
- Offline navigation
- TomTom Go’s paid nature
- Other features
- Which one is better where?
The Google Maps vs TomTom video covers a test drive of both to the same location. The fifteen-minute journey covers how both apps look like, how they react, traffic, and more.
TomTom Go collects data from over 400 million cars and the data is updated every two minutes. Google Maps collects data from various sources such as Android Phones and Google Maps etc. To find the accurate navigation app, I went for a test drive here in Adelaide (above video). Let’s take a look at the results.
|Service||ETA on start||ETA on end||Dist. on start||Dist. on end|
|Google Maps||15:45||15:45||8.1 Km||8.2 Km|
|TomTom Go||15:45||15:45||8.7 Km||8.2 Km|
Both did a good job in the test drive. TomTom Go was a little bit behind in terms of traffic, but the ETA was similar most of the time. We also should consider the location, as at some locations one could perform better than the other.
Score: Tie. Reviews: This round is a tie.
TomTom Go overtakes in this round because it offers over 100 voice options in many languages. Google Maps comes with 59 voice options.
Download our fun and challenging game Ant Samsher
Reporting is one of the most important sections of Google Maps vs TomTom Go because reporting tools show the actual power of a navigation app.
|Feature||Google Maps||TomTom Go|
|Mobile speed camera||✔️||❌|
|Speed limit||✔️ limited (only Android)||✔️ limited|
|Static speed camera||❌||✔️|
|Object on road||✔️||❌|
Score: Google Maps: 1 | TomTom Go: 1. Reviews: Google Maps got 8 ✔️ while TomTom Go got 6 ✔️. Google Maps gets this round.
There is no comparison in transport options because Google Maps is the clear winner. The all-rounder nature gives it an edge when it comes to transport modes.
|Feature||Google Maps||TomTom Go|
Score: Google Maps: 2 | TomTom Go: 1. Reviews: Although TomTom Go allows real-time route switch, it does not offer public transport options.
Also read: Waze vs Google Maps | Which One is the Best in 2020?
Google Maps allows downloading some kilometre area at a time. You can download many locations in your device. The app automatically updates the maps after some time, and you can go offline by tapping on the offline button in the left menu.
TomTom Go requests to download the whole country’s map at once when you open the app for the first time. The company is bringing new features, in which users will be able to download a specific area, but ETA is not known. You can also download the other nation’s maps.
Score: Google Maps: 2 | TomTom Go: 1. Reviews: This round is a tie.
TomTom Go’s paid nature
A non-comparable feature of Google Maps is contributions. Users can contribute by reviewing and rating places, uploading photos, and answering questions. The more you help, the points you get. The points can be used to go to events organised by Google around the world.
- You can see reviews, ratings, and photos of millions of places.
- The real-time street view can be activated while walking.
- The app suggests whether public transport is busy using past data and real-time users feedback.
- If the phone’s time is wrong, Google Maps shows the ETA in the GPS location timezone.
- Google Maps is available on Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, while TomTom only supports Apple CarPlay.
- TomTom is not just an app. TomTom offers a wide range of software and hardware products for car, motorcycle, truck, and other vehicles.
- 3D buildings in TomTom Go look stunning.
- Night mode is available in both.
- Both offer to show the lanes on the top and suggest which lane should the driver be driving in.
Which one is better where?
As we have covered pretty much everything in Google Maps vs TomTom Go, you would have a clear image of which one to use where.
- For public transport: Google Maps.
- If travelling locally and you know the address, then both will do the job.
- Travelling overseas? Download Google Maps and search for business and addresses easily.
- Love to help the community? Google Maps.
- Going to a restaurant or a new place? Google Maps is here.
The final score for Google Maps vs TomTom is 2 over 1. Google Maps is old and because of a giant tech company behind, it is up to date most of the times, and it’s free. Anyway, thanks for reading this blog post. Please let me know your thoughts about both in the comments below so we can discuss more.
Image information: Images used are copyrighted. A screenshot is the property of the app owner/publisher.