There are hundreds of screen recording software out there. Some are good, and some are not, and almost every software has a premium version. So, how do you know which one is for you? Well, of course, by reading the reviews. Screencast-O-Matic is a multi-platform screen recorder. It comes with many features, and here I’m exploring those features. I have been using Screencast-O-Matic for over two years for my YouTube channel, and I have seen the software changing and growing. We’ll not just review the free version of Screencast-O-Matic, but the premium plans as well. Every word written in this post is from my experience. We will be reviewing each round, and after each round, there will be rating. Finally, we will calculate the overall score. After reading this review, you will not need to go anywhere, as this is the ultimate review of Screencast-O-Matic.
Screencast-O-Matic is available on Windows, macOS, Chromebook, and iOS. Although, if you are using the free version, you don’t need the software. You can go to the website and click on launch recorder. The site will install an extension, and you are good to go. But, if you have one of the paid plans, then you need the software to edit the videos.
It is not available on Android, which would be a great platform to focus next to attract more users. The iPhone/iPad app has limited editing features, but it has most of the features which a mobile screen recording app should have. Another benefit is you can use the software on multiple platforms as long as you are the person using it.
Review: If they have an iOS app, what did we Android users do?
Rating: 4 out of 5.
Recording box or recorder box comes with a few options. You can record the narration as well as the system audio (paid). Here is what is available to you:
- You can record screen, webcam, or both.
- You have an option to select the maximum recording time (paid).
- Choose video size. The full-size records in 1080p while to record the specific part of the screen, you can select 720 or lower. The recording frame lets you move and adjust the size and location.
- Enable or disable the narration. You also have an option to choose the recording mic.
- Record the system sound.
- Preferences to change the shortcuts.
Pausing and ending the recording
You can pause or end the recording by clicking on the same record button. The pause screen displays finish recording, delete, editing options with continuous recording and recording time. You can click on done anytime to finish the recording. One thing to cover is, sometimes, the recording tool disappears while recording, so you have to go to the software and click on pause recording.
Review: Great and easy to use recording tool.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5.
Alright, this part is all about Delux and Premier plan guys. The premium part of Screencast-O-Matic review covers the tools it comes with. The video editor is only available in one of the paid plans. The video editor is one of the most comfortable video editors I have ever seen. The editor lacks the advanced video editing features, but it comes with the features which advanced video editors don’t have. Here is the list of the features available on desktop.
Related: 7 Best Video Converters for Android.
Video editing tools
- Cut a video easily. The Cut tool lets you slide on the timeline. It highlights the area as you go.
- You can copy a part of the video and paste it using the Insert tool.
- If you want to remove the cursor or the webcam in the Hide menu.
- The Insert tool is something cool. You can insert a new recording, existing recording, add a pause, add a video, and paste a copied video using Copy tool.
- Didn’t like the narration? You can narrate over a part of the video one using the Narrate tool.
- The Overlay feature is my favourite. You can add an image, blur, outline an area, add an arrow, highlight an area, add text, and paste a copied overlay.
- You can also replace the video and freeze the frame with the Replace tool.
- Change the video speed in the Speed tool section.
- Add a Transition in the video.
- Adjust the Volume of the video.
- Change the resolution of the video.
- Add a stock free music to make your video more fun.
- The paid versions come with auto speech-to-text caption feature.
- On the top, we have the activity option in which the software tracks the edits.
- Of course, the video is auto-saved.
That’s a list of 15 amazing tools and features. Another great feature worth mentioning is, whenever you select a tool, the quick tool selection replaces the option with the newly selected tool.
Review: Great editor with lots of tools.
Rating: 5 out 5.
Video saving and compression
Screencast-O-Matic works incredibly smooth and comes with several customisation options.
- You have an option to change the video type.
- You can choose the destination folder.
- Change the name of the video.
- Choose the caption file if you have it separately.
- Change video quality.
Even though the software doesn’t come with any compression feature, but does an excellent job. I mean, an already encoded 400 MB video can be edited and saved into less than 100 MB without losing the quality.
Review: The team has gone an extra mile to reduce the video size without losing the quality.
Rating: 5 out 5.
The iOS app comes with a few options, including, record screen with the selfie camera, trim, crop, rotate, and adjust speed. If you are a Premier user, then you can auto-transfer videos from iPhone/iPad to Video Editor.
Review: These days, many recorders have amazing features such as video quality, frame rate, banner text options etc.
Rating: 3.5 out 5.
Free vs paid
Let’s take a look at some of the features differences between the Free, Delux and Premier plans. For all the features, check the official plans page.
The final part of Screencast-O-Matic review is the overall rating. The overall rating is the average rating of all the ratings. The rating for Screencast-O-Matic is 3.4. Screencast-O-Matic is cheaper than competitive screen recorders with several tools. The features like importing a video, editing an old video, and recording a scripted video make this software an allrounder.
Sign Up and Download
There are many screen recorders and editors out there, but since I have started making videos for my YouTube channel, I have become a fan of this software. When I started using Screencast-O-Matic, it was software with a few features, but seeing this growing, I can say, I made the right decision of using this software. Anyway, here is the end of Screencast-O-Matic review. I hope the article helped clear your doubts. What do you think of Screencast-O-Matic? Do you something new to share in this article? Please add your thoughts in the comments section, so we can discuss more.