Reviewing apps and comparing with others is fun. It lets you decide which one to go for the rest of your life. I found my buddy while comparing Sygic and Google Maps. The article is all about Sygic and Google Maps. We are going to compare Sygic vs Google Maps on an ultimate level. From app features to navigation everything is here. Before we begin, let me clear that Sygic is a paid service and Google Maps is free and still if you want a comparison then here we are.
Sygic: Founded in 2004, Sygic is a Slovak company. Sygic uses 2D and 3D navigation from TomTom. It was the first mobile app on the iPhone to provide GPS based navigation.
Google Maps: Where 2 Technologies started the project in 2004. In 2005 Google Maps was launched after Google purchased the company. Google Maps is the most popular app with over 50% of global smartphone owners using it at least once. The credit goes to Android because Google Maps is a pre-installed app.
Sygic vs Google Maps in a video
The video shows both maps on the road. A journey of 30 minutes will show you most of the features of Sygic and Google Maps. Although the video covers both on-road follow the article for technical comparison.
When we put an address, we can see the distance, time and arrival time on Sygic, and time and distance on Google Maps. Both come with a bottom menu where we can see the details or change the route. Finding information is also easy. When you zoom out, you can see blocked roads in Sygic. Both show the recommended route with alternative routes. When the navigation starts, we can see 3D buildings on the map in Sygic. Let’s begin the navigation and move to the second part of this Sygic vs Google Maps comparison.
Google Maps has a wide range of options including car, public transport, walk, cycle, etc. Sygic only has the option for the car. The trip details are everywhere on the screen. We have the petrol stations, parking, next turn, speed trap, traffic delay etc. on the left of the screen meanwhile car’s speed and the speed zone is right the bottom in Sygic. You can see the name of the street on the top while route’s information is down the bottom. The blue bar below the route info is the progress bar which shows the remaining journey with traffic delay.
Google Maps, on the other hand, comes with a voice search. You can tap on the little microphone or say OK Google if it is activated. You can search for anything and turn off and on the sound. The street name is on the top and trip’s information is down the bottom.
The three little dots in Sygic and the up arrow in Google Maps opens a menu. In Sygic, the menu is for some of the paid features and route info. You can preview the route and cancel the navigation in Sygic. While the menu in Google Maps is for sharing the trip, searching for anything close by, see the directions, on/off traffic information, and change the settings.
Sygic comes with a few languages including English UK, US, Deutsch, Italiano and a couple more. Google Maps comes with a wide range of voice options including English (multiple), Deutsch, Eesti, Filipino, Italiano, Magyar, Norsk, Suomi, and much more. Regarding voice command, Google Maps is better. Google Maps does not speak until there is an intersection. That’s not the case with Sygic.
Check out: Waze vs Google Maps.
Both apps are available in so many countries. The information on how many countries Sygic supports is missing, but Google Maps is available in over 200 countries. Sygic is a paid service, and you will have to purchase a plan. You can buy your area with or without traffic information, or you can buy the whole world’s access. Google Maps has a feature of download a particular area. In the settings, you can find the option to download maps on your phone.
Other Sygic vs Google Maps features
Let’s talk about some of the unique features both maps apps provide. Sygic and Google Maps have a few things in common and a few uncommon. We will be covering all those in Sygic vs Google Maps battle.
- A small window which is visible on the right side of the screen shows how many lanes are in total and which lane the driver should be driving on. The feature makes driving easier when there are many lanes, and your intersection is near.
- Sygic updates if there is a fast route available even you are halfway there.
- It shows your car’s speed and the speed zone. It beeps when you exceed the limit.
- Sygic finds speed traps and continuously beeps until you don’t cross it or change the way.
- When we get to close to our destination Sygic shows a notification with the nearest parking.
- Sygic has a store for some fantastic add-ons.
- Sygic remembers where you have parked your car.
- Another feature is called SOS. SOS shows your location, nearest police station, hospital, petrol station, and pharmacy. You can also call emergency number by tapping on the button.
- Google Maps shows lanes on the top at an intersection. It shows how many lanes in total and which lane the driver should choose.
- Traffic update is better in Google Maps.
- More travelling options including public transit, cycle, walk etc.
- Find the information for millions of businesses including their business hours, reviews, ratings, photos etc.
- Street-view feature to experience true navigation.
- Real-time traffic updates.
- Both show nearby places on the map while we are driving.
- An option to travel with Uber. Both show the nearest Uber driver and how much it would cost.
Sygic has a store where the user can purchase add-ons like real-time navigation, dash cam, head up display, cockpit, travel book, maps etc. You can enjoy the free navigation for a week, and after that, you will have to buy access to the map. The first add-on is Real View Navigation which comes with real view driving experience. The second one is the Cockpit which checks your vehicle’s performance by continuously calculating your driving style. The third one is the Head-up Display which rotates the map and brightens the screen. You can place your phone near the windshield, and you can see the maps on the windshield (only works when it’s dark). The fourth one is Dashcam which uses your phone’s camera to record what’s happening. You can find other cool add-ons on the store.
Check out: HERE WeGo vs Waze.
Which one is better where?
- Free stuff? Google Maps.
- Public transport. Google Maps.
- Want to be ahead of traffic and find a different route. Sygic.
- Traffic camera and speed reporting. Sygic.
- Driving? Sygic is better.
Both are great and can be used on different occasions. The final question comes to money. If you want to spend some money, then Sygic is the way to go. With many features, real-time traffic update and route changing Sygic will get you there quickly. Anyway, I hope the article Sygic vs Google Maps helped. Which app do you use for getting one place to another? Share your thoughts in the comments below so we can discuss more.