Sygic may not support public transport, but it a service backed with powerful AI. Google Maps, on the other hand, is impressive and famous.
How both are different and which one is better where? In this blog post, we are going to compare Sygic vs Google Maps. The comparison covers many features and at last, which one is better where.
Table of contents
- Routing comparison
- Voice and offline navigation
- Reporting tools
- Transit options
- Other features
- Which one is better where?
- In conclusion
Sygic vs Google Maps
Before we start, let’s take a look at the comparison video. This video covers basic functionalities and how both perform on the road.
Routing is essential because you don’t want to stuck in traffic. Google Maps gets the data from Android devices, the app itself, and many other GPS enabled devices around the world. Sygic uses TomTom Traffic navigation, and the data is updated every two minutes from over 400 million vehicles.
To find a prominent service, I took a test drive of 9 kilometres (5.5 Miles). Take a look at the below table for the results of the test drive.
|Service||ETA on start||ETA on end||Dist. on start||Dist. on end||No. of reroutes|
|Sygic||16:42||16:50||8.9 km||9.4 km||2|
|Google Maps||16:45||16:50||8.8 km||9.4 km||4|
Regarding the traffic, Google Maps was more accurate, while both could not cope with the real-time traffic changes. Sygic has a feature of suggesting if a better route is available, which can help sometimes.
Voice and offline navigation
Sygic comes with a few languages including English UK, US, Deutsch, Italiano and a couple more. Google Maps offers a wide range of voice options, including English, Deutsch, Eesti, Filipino, Italiano, Magyar, Norsk, Suomi. Regarding voice command, Google Maps is better. Google Maps voice navigation only guides at the needed times, while Sygic voice navigation guides even there is no turning required.
Regarding offline availability, Google Maps allows downloading maps of about 70 kilometres area at a time. You can download different areas for free. You can also toggle on/off the offline navigation. With Sygic, it depends on your plan. You can download the purchased regions.
Read Waze vs Google Maps
The second most essential section of Sygic vs Google Maps is reporting. The more features the service has, the better. Take a look at the below table for all the supported features.
|Static speed camera||✔️||❌|
|Mobile speed camera||❌||User-provided|
|Object on road||❌||User-provided|
There is no comparison regarding transit options. Sygic is only for private vehicles, while Google Maps offers options including car, public transport, cycle, walk, taxi, rideshare etc.
Sygic offers a store where users can purchase add-ons. It comes with a handful of add-ons mentioned below.
- Real view navigation
- Head-up display
Let’s talk about some of the unique features both services provide. Sygic and Google Maps have a few things in common and a few uncommon.
- Both show nearby places on the map while driving.
- Google Maps Timeline tool saves your driving activity, while Sygic has a similar tool called Sygic Travel book.
- A small window which is visible on the right side of the screen shows how many lanes are in total and which lane the driver should be driving on. The feature makes driving more comfortable.
- When we get close to our destination, Sygic shows a notification with the nearest parking.
- Sygic has a store with some fantastic add-ons.
- Sygic remembers where you park your car.
- SOS feature shows your location, nearest police station, hospital, petrol station, and pharmacy.
- Sygic offers to preview the journey.
- Google Maps shows lanes on the top at an intersection. It shows how many lanes in total and which lane the driver should choose.
- Find the information for millions of businesses, including their business hours, reviews, ratings, photos etc.
- Street-view feature to experience true navigation.
- Real-Time street view while walking.
Read HERE WeGo vs Waze
Which one is better where?
- For public transport, Google Maps.
- Google Maps is better regarding traffic, but it always stays on the route, which was suggested in the beginning.
Both are great and can be used on different occasions. I hope the article helped. Feel free to share your views in the comments below so we can discuss more.
Discloser: The images used are the screenshots and are the property of the developer/publisher.