Ladies and gentlemen, here is the ultimate comparison of Sygic vs Waze. Both are great tools and have been here for a long time now. Sygic is a paid service while Waze is completely free. What are we going to cover? Well, the list is down below. Sygic and Waze are two fantastic services, and a fun fact is both projects started in 2004, and Sygic was the first app on iOS to provide mobile navigation. Let’s see which one is our final choice in Sygic vs Waze comparison.
Table of contents
- YouTube video covering Sygic vs Waze on the road.
- Online navigation.
- Offline navigation.
- Safety and security.
- Unique features.
- Issues with both apps.
- Which one is better where.
- In conclusion.
Collecting data from over 400 million vehicles around the globe, Sygic updates the data every 2 minutes. Michal Štencl found the company in 2004. Since then it provides navigation to millions of users.
Before we move on, let’s check the latest video in the comparison. I have recorded the above video to show Sygic vs Waze comparison. The video covers both apps on the road and what features they have.
Nothing special when you open the apps. Both use light colours. After putting an address both show an overview of the trip. Sygic shows alternative routes and if you prefer you can tap on the route to change. 3D interface is something to look for in Sygic. Waze has a few options including music, sound and search options on the screen.
Sygic is available for private cars, walking, and rideshare, while Waze is available for private cars, cyclists, and it has an option to enable taxi mode. Both use GPS to find the vehicle’s speed which is reasonably accurate on both. Sygic shows the essential notifications, petrol stations, and parking spots on the left while Waze does not show anything like that. The blue bar on the bottom in Sygic is the progress bar. It shows the trip’s progress, and if there is any traffic delay, you will see the red bar instead of blue. On the bottom, we have the tip’s information. You can tap on the button on the right to see more options. Waze has a search bar where you can search while you can also talk to Waze by saying “OK Waze”.
The three little dots in Sygic contain lots of tools. You can preview the trip, search, see directions, update traffic information, and change the settings.
Sygic updates the traffic very often, and it collects the data from over 400 million cars around the world. Waze relies on the users to update the traffic information.
Voice is also part of Sygic vs Waze comparison. Sygic comes with a few languages including English and Italiano. Waze comes with a wide range of voice options including English, Italiano, Polski, Deutsch etc. You can also record your voice and use for the navigation. Although, a problem I must mention with Waze is, it sometimes guides when we are too close to the intersection making us take the next intersection.
Check out: Waze vs Google Maps 2019.
Sygic has an option to purchase the map for different regions. Sygic is a paid service, and after the trial period, you will have to pay to use their services. Waze on the other hand, does not come with any offline options. You will have to be connected to navigate.
Security and Safety
Safety would be one of the most important section of Sygic vs Waze. Both use some security tools to keep you out of danger. The SOS feature comes in Sygic which shows you the location with your current address, coordinates, nearest police, pharmacy, hospital, and the petrol station. You can also call on the emergency number by taping on Emergency Call. Moving to Waze, it does not allow you to search for anything while the vehicle is in motion. Also, it uses the information given by drivers. Drivers can report traffic, police, crash, fuel prices etc. As you report you to get some points which help you build your reputation and the more points you have, the faster your report will be updated.
Check out: Sygic vs Google Maps 2019.
Each app has some unique features, and we will be covering each in this Sygic vs Waze comparison.
- It shows a small window suggesting which lane should you use to drive the car.
- Sygic updates the route if there is a fast route available.
- It shows your car’s speed and the speed zone. It also beeps when you exceed the limit, or a speed trap is ahead.
- When moving to a different speed zone, Sygic displays the new speed on the screen.
- Need parking? Sygic will show you the nearest parking when you are close to the destination.
- Need more features? Check out Sygic Store. The tools including real-time navigation, dash cam, head up display, cockpit, travel book, maps etc.
- Download maps for your region.
- You can preview the route in the options.
- You can see the nearest Uber or similar rideshare driver and book a car (region limited).
- Get real-time traffic, hazards, police, crash reports from drivers.
- Waze is completely free.
- For your safety, you can’t search for anything when the speed is above 2.
- You can use Waze for cycling or use if for taxi stuff, and Waze will give you the best routes.
- You can play your songs with one tap if you have music apps installed.
- Waze shows your car’s speed and speed zone.
Problem with Both
Let’s see some of the issues with both the apps.
- Sygic is a paid service.
- Map updates will not be very often.
- Sometimes, it forgets to inform you about the speed traps.
- Being a public app it can easily be manipulated and fake data can be uploaded.
Which one is better where?
Alright, the answer to this question is complicated. The Sygic vs Waze has covered almost the features both come with. Check out the below list:
- If you want a rich and smooth experience, then Sygic is there.
- If you want free stuff, then Waze is your go.
- Looking for cycle routes? Waze.
- Looking to drive a taxi or rideshare? Waze is there.
- Are you a new driver? Or moving to a new place? Sygic is there to guide you about the lanes, parking, and petrol station.
Here is the end of Sygic vs Waze journey. I hope it helped you find the perfect navigation app for you. Let me know what do you think, and which one do you use? Also, please let me know if any of the information is missing so, I can update the article. Images are owned by the respective companies. Last updated by Madhsudhan Madhsudhan on 26th of April 2019.